5.07.2006

Amelie star found fame difficult

Da Vinci code star Audrey Tautou was so distraught by the media attention she received after her role in the hit film Amelie that she considered leaving the acting profession. "It was all so sudden and brutal. I remember being out in public after the film opened in France and it was like my life had changed. Everyone was looking at me, everyone wanted to talk to me. I would try to disguise myself with large hats and dark glasses but still people recognized me and talked to me as if I was Jesus Christ, as if I could teach them something valuable. It was overwhelming and I found it difficult to live with. I longed to be anonymous again but I knew it wasn't possible. There was so much fuss I started to wonder if I had chosen the wrong profession. The attention was painful, like a tumor. As for the movies - I knew that I had to make the right choices - and that meant not doing what was expected of me." Tautou worked on several low-budget French films before her star turn in the Da Vinci Code with Tom Hanks.

No comments: