12.05.2006

Gwyneth clears the air

Gwyneth Paltrow is upset by recent media criticism that she has become "anti-American" since her move to London. The Oscar winner told People mag that she was misunderstood when a Portuguese newspaper recently quoted her as saying, "The British are much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans." Paltrow explained, "First of all I feel so lucky to be American. When you look at the rest of the world, we're so lucky, and that's something my dad always instilled in me. I feel so proud to be American." As for the quote in question, the Proof actress says she never gave an interview to the Portuguese paper, but did do a press conference in Spanish. "This is what I said. I said that Europe is a much older culture and there's a difference," Paltrow clarified. "I always say in America, people live to work and in Europe, people work to live. There are positives in both. Obviously I need to go back to seventh-grade Spanish!" The actress and her husband Chris Martin live part-time in London with their two children. "I live in England half the time because I'm married to an English guy," Paltrow says. "It's not like I've left America."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We're too stupid to comprehend your backtrack, so save it.