2.15.2007

Kenny Chesney: "I'm not gay"

After a long silence, country star Kenny Chesney is finally speaking out about his brief marriage to Renee Zellweger. Chesney has been plagued with rumors that the cause of the couple's split after their four-month marriage was that he is gay. "It's not true. Period," the singer tells 60 Minutes in an interview to air on this week's show. "Maybe I should have come out and said, 'No, I'm not [gay],' but I didn't want to draw any more attention to it." Zellweger filed for an annulment just months after the couple were wed in the U.S. Virgin Islands, citing "fraud" as the reason for the split. "We thought the least harmful [stated reason] was fraud because it [is] kind of broad...doesn't specify. And boy...we were wrong," Chesney says. "The only fraud that was committed was me thinking that I knew what it was like...that I really understood what it was like to be married, and I really didn't." The singer has no regrets, however, and says, "Even though I'd sit here and say I wish we'd gotten divorced instead of all that annulment stuff, and saved me a lot of public humiliation... I still don't have any regrets. I loved her, you know? And it was real."

No comments: