8.05.2007

Thandie confesses bulimia battle

Crash actress Thandie Newton admits to a brief battle with an eating disorder in the September issue of the UK mag Easy Living. "I had terrible bulimia for about a year," the British actress says. "I've still got the scars on my knuckles from where I put my fingers down my throat." Newton says her eating issues started as a 14-year-old ballet student, and were heightened after a series of abusive relationships. "I'd been involved with this guy for a long time, he was much older than me and I felt a lot of shame about my sexual relationship with him," she says. "I would have these dinners with him and then go back to the flat and I'd throw up. Then I went out with someone who was emotionally abusive, criticizing me the whole time." After moving to LA to shoot a movie, Newton sought help. "I saw a therapist for the first time," she says. "After that first session, I never threw up again. I had made the connection between shame and self-abuse."

No comments: