8.07.2007

Wynonna Judd on life after her husband's arrest

Wynonna Judd has spoken publicly for the first time about her husband's arrest last March for aggravated sexual assault and battery against a minor under the age of 13. "My first response when it happened was, I am a mother first and foremost," the country singer tells Ladies' Homes Journal in its September issue. "I knew what I was getting into and I tried to change it," she says of her marriage to D.R. Roach. "I knew that both Roach and I had issues with addiction when I married him. I know my life. I know the people I chose, I know why I chose them and I really thought that I could change people through loving them enough. It doesn't work that way... And all you women out there who say love can change anything? You know what it can do? It can get you in a lot of trouble... I'm now focused on saving myself and the children." Judd has two children from a previous marriage, and Roach's son Zac joined the family when the couple wed in 2003. "It is hard to detach overnight," says Judd, who still wears her wedding ring. "I'm healing in my own time. And so I do wear my ring. And I think what I'm teaching my kids is, this happened." And to fans, Judd has this message: "If the fans are worried about me, don't be. In this moment, this heartbeat, this breath, I'm okay. Everything's not all right, but I'm all right with everything. And when you surrender - that's where I live right now...in that serenity."

No comments: