1.18.2007

Grey's actor issues apology

Following much negative criticism after his outburst at the Golden Globes (see here), Isaiah Washington issued the following statement this afternoon:

"I apologize to T.R., my colleagues, the fans of the show and especially the lesbian and gay community for using a word that is unacceptable in any context or circumstance. By repeating the word Monday night, I marred what should have been a perfect night for everyone who works on Grey's Anatomy. I can neither defend nor explain my behavior. I can also no longer deny to myself that there are issues I obviously need to examine within my own soul, and I've asked for help. I know the power of words, especially those that demean. I realize that by using one filled with disrespect I have hurt T.R. and my colleagues. With one word, I've hurt everyone who has struggled for the respect so many of us take for granted. I welcome the chance to meet with leaders of the gay and lesbian community to apologize in person and to talk about what I can do to heal the wounds I've opened. T.R.'s courage throughout this entire episode speaks to his tremendous character. I hold his talent, and T.R. as a person, in high esteem. I know a mere apology will not end this, and I intend to let my future actions prove my sincerity."

Washington's behavior has drawn criticism not only from his castmates, but caught the attention of GLAAD as well as execs at ABC, who were "dismayed" by his comments and said the issue was "being addressed."

No comments: